My first attempt at getting him in it ended up with both of us crying. After a couple hours of much needed sleep we tried again...and it was magic! My fussy baby transformed into an easy going, happy little peanut before my very eyes. Not to mention...the heaping piles of laundry and dishes were GONE! Why didn't I do this sooner?!
- It provides an optimal learning environment. Babies in carriers spend more time in a quiet state of alertness. They are at the adult's level (not way down on the floor or in a stroller). They hear more, see more, and feel more a part of the world!
- It comforts them. It creates an environment really similar to the womb...rythmic motions, mom's heartbeat, swaddle-like feeling. Several studies show that children who were "worn" grow up to be more confident and secure adults!
- It allows them to experience new situations while feeling safe against Mom or Dad, and keeps them physically safe!
- It can actually reduce SIDS. The reasoning is too complicated for me to explain, you can read about it here :)
- Promotes healthy, healthy attachment that is SO important for their future!
My (current) carrier of choice is the Ergo. It is a soft structured carrier that can be worn on the front or back. Happy babywearing!